Whether you are planning on designing a new kitchen from scratch or remodeling your current one, chances are you probably are going to be investing in new countertops. Choosing countertops is one of the most fun and exciting parts of the kitchen design process. However, it can also be a stressful decision since countertops make a huge statement and set the tone for your space.
One overwhelming obstacle in this process is deciding where you want to begin designing or remodeling your kitchen. Should you choose the countertops, the cabinets or something else first? At Bad Lizard Granite & Quartz, we understand this is a big decision, and our team has come up with some ideas to consider when deciding where to start when designing or remodeling your kitchen. Just know that much of the decision factors into your circumstances and personal preferences!
WHAT DESIGN ELEMENT IS MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU?
There is no right or wrong place to start when it comes to designing your kitchen, but if you are designing your kitchen from scratch versus remodeling it, you will have more flexibility on where to begin. For example, let’s say that you have fallen in love with our White Mist Granite, and you want to have it in your kitchen. You can easily start with this countertop and design the rest of your kitchen around it. On the other hand, if you must have white cabinets in your new kitchen, you should start with that cabinet color choice and choose countertops to either complement or contrast those cabinets.
ARE YOU REUSING ANY EXISTING ELEMENTS IN YOUR KITCHEN?
Another aspect to consider when designing your kitchen is if you will be reusing any existing elements in the space. If you will keep your old kitchen cabinets and hardware, you will need to base your new countertops on those elements already in the space. At Bad Lizard, we work with many projects like this. Here’s what our team recommends considering when just updating your countertops:
- Find the perfect color: Your countertop’s color shouldn’t clash with the other components of your kitchen like cabinets, flooring, or even paint on the walls. If you want to learn more about choosing countertop colors for your home, check out our recent blog, How to Choose Countertop Colors for Your Home.
- Ask yourself which material works in your kitchen: If you already have an aesthetic for your kitchen, you want to make sure the material you choose compliments that aesthetically. For example, granite has a more classic look.
- Make sure what level of maintenance you are okay with: When choosing a countertop, you must understand the level of maintenance you will have to take for each material type. For example, while granite is durable, it is also porous, meaning if your countertops aren’t sealed properly, you risk getting a stain that will need to be professionally removed. However, we do a great job of not only sealing your countertops but also educating you on maintaining that sealant.
When solely updating your countertops, make sure you take all of these tips into account as this is an investment and is something you have to use and live with.
DO YOU HAVE A BUDGET?
Having a set budget in place can also help you decide where to begin when designing your kitchen. At Bad Lizard, our goal is to help you find a stone countertop that will work for your needs and within your budget.
We suggest that you consider the following when it comes to your installation cost factors:
- Type of material chosen
- Grade of the granite
- Color and pattern
- Preferred edges (straight, rounded, decorative, etc.)
- The complexity of labor to fabricate
When we purchase our stones, we get them in bundles of six to ten slabs consecutively cut from the same block of stone. This allows us to create custom fabricated countertops for your project that ensures the specific look you want.
If you would like to learn more about how to choose a countertop that fits your budget, check out our blog, How to Choose a Countertop that Fits Your Budget in West Virginia.
NOT SURE WHERE TO BEGIN WHEN DESIGNING YOUR KITCHEN? BAD LIZARD CAN HELP!
At Bad Lizard Granite & Quartz, we want you to make the best decision possible when it comes to designing your kitchen. While we don’t build out full new kitchens, we do believe that having a countertop that works with the rest of the design is essential.
If you have any questions about countertop materials, colors, prices or more, please don’t hesitate to call us at 304-472-6483 or contact us online.